Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Graduation Gift Story

Story title: A Graduation Gift Story
By: Reader's Digest

   Comedian David Brenner came from a poor family. When he graduated from high school, he was given an unforgettable gift.

   "Some of my friends got new clothes, a few rich ones got new cars,"
he remembers. "After I had my diploma in my hand, my father came over, congratulated me, and reached into his pants pocket and took something out. I extended my hand, palm up and he let his present drop into it.. a five cent coin called a nickel!
    "Then he said to me, 'Buy a newspaper with that. Read every word of it. Then turn to the classified ad section and find yourself a job. Get out into the world. It's all yours now.
    "I always thought that was a great joke my father had played on me.. until a few years ago in that Army, I was sitting in a foxhole thinking about my family and my life. It was then that I realized that my friends had gotten only new cars, or only clothes. My father had given me that whole world. What greater gift could there be?"
   

0 comments:

Post a Comment