Monday, February 28, 2011

How To Harness Energy Story

Story title: How To Harness Story 
By: Michael Korda in Reader's Digest

     The first rule of success is to have energy. Energy is a desire to get things done.. and done correctly, and it has to have a specific goal.
     The trick to develop energy is to split one's workday into small specific goals. Here is the story of how one successful businessman did it.
He speaks for himself:

      "For years I began workday in a state of anxiety and rage. My desk was a sea of messages and mail when I arrived. Phones were ringing and people were lined up to see me. Within two hours I felt beat and resentful of not having completed one single task.
     "So I decided that I had to change something. I decided that I had to start the day by accomplishing something, no matter how small. So I decided that I would spend the first hour answering mail. I would take no telephone call, I would see no one. I treated the mail as a separate block of work. After I had read it, answered it, and taken whatever action the mail called for, I rewarded myself with a cup of coffee. And then took a walk around the office.
     "It wasn't long before I looked forwarded to my first hour; it gave me a sense of achievement and purpose. It allowed me to apply my energy to a limited task. I began the day with a success. That was psychologically important."

0 comments:

Post a Comment