Saturday, January 23, 2010

So You Have It Tough? Story by Gordon Abion

  A man I know was badly injured by a drunken driver at the age of fifteen. He lost a leg. He was happily married, and then after six years, his wife left him for another man. But he determined to make the best of life for himself and for others. So he got the idea of becoming a pen pal to some cripple worse off that he was.
 
He was put in touch with a fellow who had been struck on the head by cricket ball at the age of nine, and lost the use of his arms and legs. He spent over forty years in a hospital.
   This man answered my friend with a three page letter filled with optimism and cheerfulness in every sentence. And how do you think he ended his letter? "I thank God," he wrote, "I thank God that I am able to write my own letters by holding the pen in my mouth."

-- Gordon Abion

0 comments:

Post a Comment