Monday, January 25, 2010

Story: Fairness by Jessimine Paret Knight

      My brother and I always came home from school hungry. One day when we asked for something to eat, Mum set a little cake before us on the kitchen table. Placing a knife beside the cake, she said, "Now, one of you divide it. And the other gets the first choice."
    
My brother was quicker than I, and he started to cut the cake in unequal pieces. Suddenly he stopped, looking first at Mother and then at me. then he cut the rest in exact halves and stood back for me to help myself.
     From that time on, whatever there was to be shared: pie, cake, bread, or butter it was divided in the same way: one of us cut it and the other got first choice.
     That taught us both a lasting respect for the other fellow's rights.



----Jessamine Paret Knight

0 comments:

Post a Comment